According to Study Half of Recent Purchasers Rented Timeshare Prior to Buying
Washington, October, 2009 – According to Vacation Timeshare Owners Report, 2009 Edition by the ARDA International Foundation (AIF), recent timeshare purchasers are younger, wealthier and happy with their vacation product. Overall, more than six in ten timeshare owners are age 45 or older, with Baby Boomers ranked as the largest generation of timeshare owners (45 percent). However, recent purchasers1 are younger than timeshare owners in general, with 58 percent under the age of 45.
About half of recent purchasers rented a timeshare prior to buying (48 percent), and four out of five purchased from a developer or resort. The average household income for all owners is $92,405, and recent purchasers have an average household income of $94,933. Motivators for purchasing were the quality of accommodations, saving on future costs, and the credibility of the timeshare company. Over half say they purchased a timeshare to save money on future vacations.
“This study underscores the flexibility and value of vacation ownership products for a broad range of consumers and lifestyles. The value of timeshare that comes from its use gives people the discipline to have a better vacation year after year,” said Howard Nusbaum, ARDA president and CEO.
Other results from the study include:
- Timeshare owners spent an average of 8.18 days on timeshare vacations in 2008.
- On average, the total number of guests on a timeshare vacation was 3.71, including the owner.
- Eighty-six percent of all timeshare owners responded that owning a timeshare was an excellent, very good, or good experience.
- Sixty-nine percent of all owners would recommend their own resort or vacation club.
- On average, timeshare owners have owned their intervals for 8.26 years.
- Timeshare owners say that beaches (52 percent), attractions/entertainment (48 percent), and shopping (39 percent) are the most appealing resort characteristics.
- Eighty-one percent of all owners say that their timeshare offers a vacation home away from home.
CONTACTS: Lou Ann Burney, ARDA
202-207-1156, [email protected]
Sarah Jane Scruggs, ARDA
202-207-1141, [email protected]