BANFF, AB (December 1, 2014) — The infamous Banff Squirrel, the unlikely spokes-squirrel of Banff and Lake Louise Tourism, announced today that the Winterstart Festival kicks off this weekend and runs until December 21, 2014, marking the official start of winter at the World’s Finest National Park.
This year the Winterstart Festival is significantly revamped with a strong festival feel and four full weekends of breathtaking outdoor activities, unique culinary delights, magical family events such as the Santa Claus Parade of Lights and more.
“There’s no better place to get into the holiday spirit than Banff National Park,” said the Banff Squirrel over Twitter @Banff_Squirrel. “From visiting the shops in downtown Banff to dining at cozy restaurants, or hitting the slopes, the festival offers a special experience for everyone, including squirrels!”
The Banff Squirrel’s must-do Winterstart Festival activities and packages include:
- Banff Ave. Kick-off Event on November 29 from 4:00 to 7:00 PM with ice carving for the kids, Christmas craft making, toasty bonfires and complementary hot chocolate for all.
- World Cup Racing at Lake Louise Ski Resort on November 29, 30, Dec 6 & 7 from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- Johnston Canyon Ice Walk is a favourite of the Banff Squirrel as he gets to wear mini crampons, tour the breathtaking icefalls and spot local wildlife.
- Santa Claus Parade of Lights on December 6 is a seasonal highlight! Starting at 1:00 pm, visitors can enjoy Christmas craft making, face painting, balloon twisting, carnival games and photos with Santa himself before the parade gets started at 5:30 PM.
- Winterstart Hotel Package – Guests can stay at either the Mount Royal Hotel or Banff International Hotel (two of the Banff Squirrel’s favourites), receive two tickets for both the Banff Gondola and Banff Hot Springs plus breakfast for two for $159 during the week or $195 on Saturday nights. Rate based on double occupancy.
The festival runs from November 29 to December 21, 2014. Follow @Banff_Squirrel on Twitter, Banff Lake Louise Tourism on Facebook, [email protected]_LakeLouise on Instagram using #MyBanff. Winter.Starts.Here.
PRESS RELEASE SOURCE: Banff Lake Louise Tourism
Kymberley Hill, Media Relations
Banff Lake Louise Tourism