MIAMI, FL (February 28, 2017) –– Amidst a brand evolution, including a $1.5 billion investment in opening new properties and renovating many of its 68 existing resorts around the globe, Club Med, the pioneer of all-inclusive vacations, reveals plans for its next series of openings and enhancements in addition to the two resorts that opened in China in 2016 – Club Med Sanya and Club Med Beidahu. The brand is promising a robust pipeline of projects with the opening of 15 new resorts in the next three years in France, Italy, Brazil, China and Indonesia, amongst others. With a 66-year history, Club Med consistently strives to reinvent itself and identify areas of innovation in order to remain a trendsetter and a fun, happy place for guests.
“Reimagining the Club Med experience to cater to more affluent travelers in all corners of the globe has been exhilarating. We knew closing a number of our properties in order to invest in our upscale positioning and explore new locations was going to take time, but it’s thrilling to see our vision being realized and most importantly, both our new and loyal guests responding so positively,” says Xavier Mufraggi, CEO of Club Med North America. “Thanks to our 68 resorts worldwide and diversified offerings, we achieved solid growth in 2016 and our best net result in 15 years; also setting a new record in North America with a 20 percent year-on-year increase in operating income.” One particular example of Club Med’s success in 2016 can be seen in the brand’s ski business, with the number of American and Canadian guests travelling to one of Club Med’s 20 all-inclusive ski resorts in the Alps having nearly doubled in two years.
Highlights of some of the recent openings, renovations and soon-to-open new destinations include:
Renovations in Club Med Rio das Pedras – Mangaratiba, Brazil – La Réserve 5 Trident Luxury Space (opened December 2016):
- Location: Located between the rainforest and beach in the heart of Costa Verde, one hour and 45 minutes from Rio de Janeiro’s international airport, Galeao.
- Accommodations: Club Med Rio das Pedras recently added the first 5-Trident luxury space in Brazil, La Reserve, to the resort. Considered to be the jewel of Club Med’s portfolio, 5 Trident luxury spaces are part of the Exclusive Collection, which offer private hideaways, preferential pampering services, and luxury suite accommodations.
- Amenities: Guests of La Reserve will enjoy private concierge service, as well as a dedicated pool and bar.
NEW Resort – Club Med Lake Paradise – Sao Paulo, Brazil (opened December 2016):
- Location: Located on Lake Represa Taiaçupeba and surrounded by an 18-hole golf course and lush greenery, the resort is 45 minutes from Guarulhos Airport, and one hour and 15 minutes from Sao Paolo.
- Accommodations: 375 rooms across five elegant and stylish buildings.
- Convention center: 16 meeting rooms, 30 space configurations, capacity up to 2,000 people
- Activities/Amenities: The resort offers an elegant spa, four swimming pools, a golf course, movie theater, two restaurants and three bars, and kids’ clubs for ages 4-17, amongst many other highlights like biking, archery and treetop adventures.
NEW Resort – Club Med Sanya – China (Spring 2016):
- Location: Billed as “China’s Hawaii,” Sanya is located on the longest beach facing the South China Sea, on the Island of Hainan.
- Accommodations: 384 rooms including breathtaking sea-views or direct lagoon pool access.
- Activities/Amenities: The property offers an array of activities and entertainment for families, couples and groups like windsurfing, flying trapeze and rock climbing. Off-site excursions include a visit to the Nanshan Temple featuring a towering statue of Bodhisattva Guanyin.
NEW Resort – Club Med Beidahu – Jilin, China (opened November 2016):
- Location: Located in the Jilin Province of China and an hour and a half drive from Changchun Longjia International Airport, Club Med Beidahu offers accessible ski and mountain beauty and year-round adventures in a stylish, filminspired resort.
- Accommodations: 176 rooms – all with stunning views of ski slopes or the Beidahu reservoir.
- Activities/Amenities: 19 ski slopes for skiing, snowboarding, Nordic walking and hiking nature trails. Nightly entertainment includes a dedicated recreation zone with a ski simulator, air hockey, billiards and four Mahjong rooms.
NEW Resort – Club Med Samoëns (opening December 2017):
- Location: This family-friendly ski resort is centrally located in the heart of the French Alps, with a stunning 360- degree view of the surrounding mountains. Club Med Samoëns will be the new Club Med flagship all-inclusive ski resort in France, conveniently located only an hour from Geneva airport.
- Accommodations: 420 guest rooms
- Activities/Amenities: A dual ski experience, thanks to two different ski domains: Le Grand Massif is ideal for beginners who want to ski amidst the pine trees; while Flaine’s high altitude is ideal for advanced alpine skiing. The resort boasts an authentic Savoyard environment and art de vivre with tasty local fare served at every meal.
REOPENING – Club Med Cefalu – Sicily, Italy (opening Summer 2018):
- Location: Originally discovered by Club Med in 1957, the mythical Club Med Cefalu Resort in Sicily will reopen on an exceptional seaside site known as one of the most prestigious tourist destinations in the world, which overlooks the Cefalu Bay with a view of the medieval city.
- Accommodations: This will be the first 5 Trident Resort in Europe, encapsulating Club Med’s total repositioning on the upscale segment, with 302 beautiful rooms including suites.
- Activities/Amenities: Three restaurants including a beach bar and main restaurant with a terrace view of the Bay of Cefalu, four bars, two pools and a signature Club Med Spa.
NEW Resort – Club Med Lombok – Lombok, Indonesia (opening 2019):
- Location: Placed on the perfectly preserved Indonesian island to the east of Bali, Club Med Lombok will be an
ideal location for families, couples and business seminar groups looking to relax on white sandy beaches.
- Accommodations: Designed to be eco-chic, Club Med Lombok will offer 350 rooms, including a new 5 Trident luxury space.
- Activities/ Amenities: The resort will offer complete immersion in Indonesian traditions and cultures as well as stunning views, water and land activities (scuba diving and surfing), a calming escape, meetings and events spaces, and international cuisine.
Updates in Technology
Using technology and social media, Club Med has made vacation planning easier by providing travelers with an immersive dive into resorts via 360-degree virtual reality video tours. The Club Med Resort App allows guests to access information about sports, dining and events as well as chat with other friends on property to make plans for spa appointments or what time to meet up for lunch. Guests can even watch live updates on property happenings on Facebook and Instagram and keep in touch following their stay. Club Med Sandpiper Bay was one of the first Club Med resorts worldwide to launch the use of digital bracelets in place of room keys with a digital chip to access guestrooms and pay for additional purchases; in 2017, Club Med will roll out this technology to select resorts.
As Club Med continues to pioneer new destinations with its widely acclaimed all-inclusive concept, more than ever the brand cements its position as a global leader in upscale all-inclusive vacations.
About Club Med
Club Med was founded in 1950 and is recognized as the all-inclusive pioneer and market leader offering over 68 premium resorts in stunning
locations around the world including the Caribbean, Asia, Africa, the United States, South America, Europe, the Indian Ocean and the Middle East.
Each Club Med resort features authentic local style and comfortably chic accommodations, superior sports programs and activities for all ages,
enriching children’s programs and gourmet dining and premium drinks.
With operations in 26 countries, Club Med continues to maintain its authentic Club Media spirit with an international staff of 23,000 employees from 110 different nationalities.
For more information visitwww.clubmed.us, call 1-800-ClubMed (1-800-258 2633) or contact a preferred travel professional. Travel agents may visit www.clubmedta.com. For an inside look at Club Med, follow Club Med on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or subscribe to Club Med on YouTube
PRESS RELEASE SOURCE: Club Med
Current Lifestyle Marketing
Kelly McKenna/Suzanne Joyella