Test your knowledge:
- The longest one-syllable word in the English language is “screeched.”
- “Dreamt” is the only English word that ends in the letters “mt”
- The symbol on the “pound” key (#) is called an octothorpe.
- The dot over the letter ‘i’ is called a tittle.
- The word “set” has more definitions than any other word in the English language.
- “Underground” is the only word in the English language that begins and ends with the letters “und.”
- There are only four words in the English language in common use which end in “-dous”: tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous. There is also the specialist zoological term apodous, which means ‘without feet’.
- The longest word in the English language, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, which is a lung disease caused by inhaling volcanic dust.
- Facetious and abstemious contain all the vowels in the correct order, as does arsenious, meaning “containing arsenic.”
- The full name of the city of Los Angeles is “El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula”, which can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its size as “L.A.”
- Donald Duck’s middle name is Fauntleroy.
- A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.
- There is a seven-letter word in the English language that contains ten words without rearranging any of its letters, “therein”: the,there, he, in, rein, her, here, ere, therein, herein.
- The letters KGB stand for Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti
- The combination “ough” in English can be pronounced in nine different ways; the following sentence contains them all: “A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.”
- The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is uncopyrightable.
- The word “Checkmate” in chess comes from the Persian phrase “Shah Mat,” which means “the king is dead.”
- ‘Stewardesses’ is the longest English word that is typed with only the left hand.
- “I am” is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
- An amigran is a word that is the same when you turn it upside down, such as “swims”.
Image source: Cliparting.com
Do you have an ‘off’ topic you’d like to share? It can be about anything, which is why it’s called “Off Topic”. Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the words “Off Topic” in the Subject Box.