(May 9, 2013) — Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific is pleased to announce its support for the Cancer Council Australia in 2013 as part of its philanthropic foundation, Wishes by Wyndham.
Wyndham will give financial support to the Cancer Council Australia through fundraising events, raffles and merchandise sales for its staff as well as an Employee Workplace Giving Program.
Since August last year, Wyndham’s employees have raised more than $20,000 for the Cancer Council through fundraising initiatives.
These initiatives are coordinated by the Wishes by Wyndham committee which is made up of a team of employees from across the company.
CEO and Managing Director Barry Robinson said, “We are proud to have Cancer Council as the signature charity of Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific. In the vacation ownership business, we spend our days making holiday dreams come true, while the Cancer Council helps families during more difficult times with funds, research, education and support.
To learn more about the Cancer Council visit www.cancer.org.au
Some Cancer Council Australia facts
Peak national non-government cancer control organisation
- Helps prevent, detect and treat cancer as well as advocating for the rights of cancer patients for the best treatment and supportive care.
- Contributed more than $50 million towards cancer research in 2011
- Each year, an estimated 124,910 new cases of cancer are diagnosed with that number set to rise to 150,000 by 2020
- 1 in 2 Australian men and 1 in 3 Australian women will be diagnosed with cancer by the age of 85 and nearly 15,000 more people die each year from cancer than 30 years ago due to population growth and aging.
- The death rate from cancer has fallen by 16% in recent years and more than 60% of people diagnosed with cancer in Australia will survive more than five years after diagnosis.
Source = Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific