xotic locations like Bali, Rome and Sydney might be at the top of your bucket list, but this year experts say they should also be at the top of your summer vacation list. Today’s unusually strong dollar is allowing you to get a lot more for your money when you travel abroad. Travel experts say this year is one of the best times in modern history for Americans to explore the world and visit distant dream destinations.
“The U.S. has emerged from the financial crisis of 2008 with the dollar at near record highs relative to a number of international currencies,” says Travis Katz, CEO and co-founder of Gogobot, a travel site that helps you find places to stay, eat and play that are perfect for you. “For American travelers, this means international travel is cheaper this year than it has been in decades. On Gogobot, we are seeing hotel prices in the world’s most expensive destinations, like Sydney and Paris, running well below their domestic counterparts here in the States.”
Here are five amazing vacation destinations that are attractively priced right now given the strong dollar:
* Bali. Bali is home to beautiful beaches and unique spots like the Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary. Seeing these amazing locations has never been more affordable. Island lovers can now save 50 to 60 percent over last year’s hotel prices in Bali. As an example, last year the Bali Wood Property at Aston Kuta Residence was going for $206 per night and now it’s practically a steal at just $82 per night in May.
* Paris. One of the most expensive cities in the world isn’t as steep as it used to be. For example, the four star Hotel Astra Opera – Astotel, which went for $249 last year, is currently listed at $149. You can even book luxury hotels in Paris for up to 65 percent less per night than last year. The famous L’Hotel Paris, which travelers last summer booked for $832 per night, can now be booked for just $298. With places like the Louvre Museum and the Jardin des Tuileries in its back pocket, it should come as no surprise that Paris ranks highly among art and design lovers. The current low hotel room rates in Paris mean you can afford to wine and dine yourself at luxury restaurant hot spots like L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon during your stay.
* Rome. A popular destination for foodies and home to the Vatican, Rome’s appeal to tourists is universal. Staying in the city is now more affordable than ever. Rome’s current hotel room rates are up to 66 percent lower than last year’s prices. These savings mean you can extend your vacation and get even more scoops of gelato in Rome’s stunning Centro Storico neighborhood.
* Spain. The dollar’s strength translates into great deals across Spain, the perfect destination for people who love to experience local culture. Take in all the sites, like La Sagrada Familia and Park Guell, while saving on hotels in Barcelona. You can also travel south to the municipality of Marbella, home to some of the most serene beaches in the world. You can find amazing deals with some properties in Marbella going for as much as 41 percent less than they cost just one year ago.
* Sydney. Australia is a dream destination for adventurers. You can take three different climbs up to the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge for breathtaking views of the city and the Blue Mountains make for an amazing day trip. Normally Sydney’s sky-high costs make it a tough sell for most Americans, but today’s exchange rates mean this summer is a great time to head down under. Dozens of four star hotels, including The Menzies Sydney, Castlereagh Boutique Hotel and Mercure Sydney are now going for less than $120 per night. Even five star hotels, like the Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney, that were going for $300 per night last summer are now going for $185 per night which represents a 38 percent savings.
While travel deals are red hot, it still pays to shop around for the best deals. Gogobot has price comparison tools that show you the best deals across a number of different sites including Expedia, Priceline and Booking.com. Now is the perfect time to visit international destinations you’ve always dreamed of. Get inspired and find more perfect places to stay, eat and play around the world, and in your own backyard, on Gogobot’s app.
“On the Road” is a compilation of destination ideas, resort reviews, videos and more gathered from a variety of sources that includes our readers.
The purpose of “On the Road” is to showcase some of the magnificent places in the world to visit, to give you an idea for someplace to go that you might previously not have thought of or known about. In most cases, but not all, we have provided a brief overview of a timeshare resort in the spotlighted area. Most of those resorts are either RCI Gold Crown or I.I. Premier quality. However, these resorts are not usually the only timeshare resorts in the area; be sure to check in your exchange catalog for a complete listing of available resorts. Check it out— enjoy yourself, go somewhere new this year!
Readers are encouraged to contribute their own stories and photos. Email firstname.lastname@example.org and put “On the Road” in the Subject line so we’ll know what it’s about.