HELSINKI, Finland (September 4, 2015) — Holiday Club Resorts Oy is purchasing Spa Hotel Caribia from Sokotel Oy, a subsidiary of SOK, in a business transaction. Caribia will become the seventh spa hotel in the Holiday Club chain as of 1 October 2015. The aim is to substantially increase the offering of housing and activities at this centrally located leisure and conference centre, by building new Villas apartments, for example. The total investment in the location will be nearly €20 million.
– The transaction signed now will strengthen Holiday Club’s presence in the major cities and bring the focus of our operations to Southern Finland, close to many of our customers. Caribia was part of the Holiday Club chain about ten years ago, which means that we are well aware of the strengths of this familiar location. By developing Caribia, we are building a versatile leisure and conference centre both locally and for all of Southern Finland, says Vesa Tengman, Managing Director of Holiday Club Resorts Oy.
– Caribia has a good reputation and a loyal customer base, thanks to its professional staff and already functional concept. The personnel at Caribia will transfer to Holiday Club as existing employees.
For Sokotel Oy, which is part of the S-Group, the transaction follows the development of their network in accordance with a recently revised travel sales strategy and a focus on core business.
– Leisure travel will continue to play a major role for Sokotel. However,
we will continue to develop our leisure support services mainly in the city centres, says Tapio Satta, Managing Director of Sokotel.
Holiday Club will renovate Caribia to meet current standards. The resort will undergo a complete reconstruction; hotel rooms will be renovated and new service concepts will be introduced, among other things. The renovation will take place in sections, allowing Caribia to serve both spa visitors and conference guests normally during the autumn. The value of the planned renovation is about €3.5 million.
High-quality Holiday Club Villas apartments will also be constructed next to Caribia. The Villas concept has been on the market for a few years and has been received very well; now, for the first time, it will be introduced at a holiday and conference centre located in an urban environment.
– The attraction of Turku, the neighbouring municipalities and the archipelago creates an excellent setting for the Villas project. We are planning to construct a total of 60–70 single and double bedroom apartments with fully equipped kitchens, saunas and balconies, for example. The Villas apartments will be sold to new owners who can also offer them for rent as part of the hotel’s accommodation activities. The value of the planned Villas investment is €13–14 million. The advance marketing of the Villas apartments is scheduled to begin in 2015. This would mean that construction will begin in the summer of 2016, says Vesa Tengman.
A new indoor activity park, SuperPark Turku, is also being planned for Caribia in place of the current Areena. The new park is expected to be completed next winter. The value of the park investment will be approximately €1 million. The completion of the project requires the approval of the city board of Turku for the termination of the current lease agreement between the City of Turku and Turku Ausade Hotelli Oy.
– We have spent a year looking for a suitable location for our SuperPark concept in Turku. In Caribia, we have found the perfect location and partner. This is true synergy, says Managing Director Juha Tanskanen of the SuperPark group.
– Our idea is to get children and young people exercising for pleasure and to offer families a chance to spend time together. While offering this chance to the people in the Turku region, we are also creating an attractive travel destination for family and conference customers together with Caribia, Tanskanen concludes.
– We are very happy that Turku is receiving a substantial investment in the field of activities. This supports our strategic goals in the promotion and diversification of travel, says Timo Hintsanen, Director of Urban Planning for the City of Turku.
Holiday Club Resorts Oy
Vesa Tengman, Managing Director, tel. +358 500 421 515,
Tapio Satta, Managing Director, tel. +358 10 76 82805 or +358 500 438 544,
Juha Tanskanen, Managing Director, tel. +358 400 415 563, firstname.lastname@ superpark.fi
City of Turku
Timo Hintsanen, Director of Urban Planning, tel. +358 50 5589 264,firstname.lastname@example.org
Holiday Club Resorts Oy is the leading weekly timeshare company in Europe and a significant operator in the fields of holiday housing and tourism. Holiday Club Resorts Oy already has 30 resorts and 1,700 holiday homes. Six of the resorts feature not only holiday homes but also a spa hotel. Nine resorts are located outside Finland, in Sweden, on the Costa del Sol in Spain and in the Canary Islands. Holiday Club has 50,000 families as timeshare customers. During the financial year 2013–2014, the consolidated turnover amounted to €123 million, and the Group employed 722 people. The main owner of the group is the Indian company Mahindra Holidays & Resorts India Limited. Owners also include Holiday Club’s acting management and the Fennia Group. Additional information: www.holidayclub.fi
Sokotel Oy is a subsidiary of SOK that operates in the hospitality business. It operates five Radisson Blu Hotels and 17 Sokos Hotels in Finland. Going forward, Sokotel Oy will operate
in the Helsinki region, Tampere, Oulu and Vaasa.
The SuperPark indoor activity parks offer a unique setting for children and adults to spend time actively together. The park concept offers three types of content: an adventure area for children, a Game Arena suitable for testing different sports and a Freestyle Hall dedicated to high-speed sports such as skating, scooting and trampoline practice. SuperPark’s values are built around children and young people exercising for pleasure, families spending time together and general well-being. The group’s parent company SuperPark Oy owns and operates SuperPark indoor activity parks in Oulu, Vantaa and Vuokatti (Angry Birds Activity Park). The company is owned by its management as well as Matkailurahasto Nordia Oy, Suomen RH-Yhtiö Oy and Magic Angel Oy. Osuuskauppa Peeässä operates SuperCorner Pitkälahti (Kuopio) under licence. Additional information: www.superpark.fi
PRESS RELEASE SOURCE: Holiday Club Resorts Oy