don’t even know why I’m sending this,” said Lee. “Almost everyone on my list knows it already because they lived it!”
Well, OK – but I’m sharing it anyway. 😉
Eating in the fifties:
- ‘Pasta’ had not been invented. It was macaroni or spaghetti.
- Curry was a surname.
- Taco? Never saw one till I was 15.
- Pizza? Sounds like a leaning tower somewhere.
- Bananas and oranges only appeared at Christmas time.
- All chips were plain.
- Oil was for lubricating, fat was for cooking.
- Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves and it was never green.
- Cubed sugar was regarded as posh.
- Chickens didn’t have fingers in those days.
- None of us had ever heard of yogurt.
- Healthy food consisted of anything edible!
- Cooking outside was called camping.
- Seaweed was not a recognized food.
- ‘Kebab’ was not even a word, never mind a food.
- Sugar enjoyed a good press in those days, and was regarded as being white gold.
- Prunes were medicinal and stewed.
- Surprisingly Muesli was readily available. It was called cattle feed.
- Pineapples came in chunks or were round with a hole in the middle, in a tin; we had only ever seen a picture of a real one.
- Water came out of the tap. If someone had suggested bottling it and charging more than gasoline for it, they would have become a laughing stock.
- There were three things that we never ever had on/at our table in the fifties: Elbows, hats and cell phones!
- And there were always two choices for each meal: “Take it” or “Leave it”
Image courtesy Cliparting.com
Do you have an ‘off’ topic you’d like to share? It can be about anything, which is why it’s called “Off Topic”. Send it to email@example.com, with the words “Off Topic” in the Subject Box.