Easy Ambrosia Salad
-from Amber Costas
Ambrosia is a variation on the traditional fruit
salad. Most ambrosia recipes contain fresh or sweetened pineapple, mandarin oranges or fresh orange sections, miniature
marshmallows, and coconut, which is the case here - with other ingredients mixed in as it has been handed down
in my family. Ambrosia is widely believed to be an American dish originated in the late 19th century, but since
my version includes fruit cocktail I'm pretty sure this treasured family recipe probably doesn't date back past
the mid 1950's. lol
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping,
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 (8 ounce) can fruit cocktail, drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In a large bowl, combine the whipped topping, coconut,
chopped nuts, fruit cocktail, pineapple, mandarin oranges, marshmallows, cherries, nutmeg and cinnamon. Mix together
well and refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes.
Serves 6 to 10.
You can also slice bananas into this and add any
other fresh fruits you like. Be creative!